What is a cookie ?
Cookies are small data files saved on your computer by websites that you visit. Cookies have a variety of functions. A cookie may allow the party who has deposited it to recognize a web user, from one visit to the next, by means of a unique identifier. Certain cookies can also be used for storing the contents of a shopping basket, others for saving the language settings for a site, yet others for providing targeted advertising.
What is the applicable legal framework ?
By amending article 5(3) of directive 2002/58/EC through adoption of directive 2009/136/EU, the EU legislator has established the principle :
- of prior consent from the user before storing data on a user’s equipment or accessing already-stored data ;
- except if these actions are strictly required for delivering a service from the information company as expressly requested by the subscriber or user.
How can I delete the cookies linked to my surfing on the web ?
You can also choose to disable cookies in your browser at any time by following the instructions provided in the help files of your browser.
- Google Chrome: Go to the “Tools” menu. Click on “Settings”. Click on “Show advanced settings”, then on “Content settings”. “Allow local date to be set” must be selected. Once this is done, select “Block all cookies”.
- Internet Explorer : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- Safari : https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/cookies/